At IOI Properties Group, in view of managing the essential elements of Sustainability and upholding corporate responsibility, we are guided by policies that ensure long term commitment to our employees, the communities and environment which we operate in.
We practice equal opportunity of employment and this is reflected in our Employee Handbook which is available to all employees via the intranet system. It covers non-discrimination of race, religion, sex, age, national origin, physical handicap or social status, among others. We do not practice child labour or forced labour.
We also have a grievances mechanism in the Employee Handbook, a Whistleblowing policy and form that is publicly available. We are compliant to the Employment Act 1955, Children and Young persons (Employment) Act 1966 and the Occupational Safety and Health Act 1994.
The following entails the main policies that the Group developed upon embarking on the Sustainability Journey.
SUSTAINABILITY POLICY STATEMENT
IOI Properties Group (“IOIPG”) strives to be a leading corporation in its business by providing products and services of superior values and by sustaining consistent long-term growth in volume and profitability.
In line with our vision and core values, we are committed to integrating sustainability and corporate responsibility into our business strategy that contributes to the society and the environment in which we operate, for the present and future generations.
We are committed to
- delivering our brand promise of Reliability, Product Quality and Lifestyle; and achieving products and services excellence by focusing on innovative business strategies, work processes, and responsible green products that have positive impacts on the environment and society.
- making green efforts that focus on energy management, water conservation, material and resource management, reduction of GHG emissions for mitigating climate change, waste and pollution reduction, and environmental protection.
- cultivating a conducive work environment that focuses on building relations with our employees, ensuring a safe workplace and a healthy workforce, encouraging the growth of our employees, and providing fair and equal opportunity in employment for all employees.
- continuing our community initiatives and delivering our commitment towards community development through volunteerism programmes, philanthropic activities, and collaborative programmes.
- complying with applicable legislations, standards and codes of practices including work ethics, health and safety, and labour practices.
- creating awareness amongst our employees, customers and business partners on commitment towards sustainability and encouraging them to support and participate in responsible environmental and social practices.
GROUP HEALTH AND SAFETY POLICY
IOI Properties Group (“IOIPG”) believes in promoting a healthy and safe work environment for our employees and stakeholders.
We are committed to
- comply with applicable statutory requirements, regulations and guidelines related to health and safety at our workplace; and the properties developed and managed by us
- demonstrate stewardship to ensure that all work is managed according to applicable health and safety requirements and standards
- provide and maintain a healthy and safe work environment for our employees
- provide training to our employees to achieve safe and productive outcomes
- work closely with our business partners and contractors/consultants/vendors to proactively address health and safety risks that may affect the health and safety of employees, customers, visitors and tenants etc
- continually improve health and safety management in the properties developed and/or managed by us
Our employees shall be responsible to:
- contribute towards a healthy and safe workplace
- work safely and efficiently
- recognize and address hazards and risks which may affect health and safety of themselves and others
- exercise general care at workplace
WASTE MANAGEMENT POLICY
In line with the corporate sustainability policy, we are committed to reduce carbon footprint through effective waste minimization in properties managed by IOI Properties Group (IOIPG). This policy intends to create awareness on the impacts of unnecessary waste towards the environment and to build an environment-conscious culture within the Group. The reduction of waste generated is aimed at diverting waste from landfill, reducing Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions and minimizing adverse impacts on the environment.
Waste minimization at IOIPG is guided by the following sustainable consumption principles:
- Source Reduction
- Fully utilize an item before throwing it away to reduce waste generation.
- Reduce purchase and use of single use items whenever possible e.g. non-rechargeable batteries, disposable food packaging and cutlery.
- Avoid use of non-biodegradable packaging e.g. packages made of plastic and Styrofoam.
- Make cost-effective changes in design, construction, operations, maintenance and use of materials.
- Stringent quality control during construction or fitting out stage minimizes defects/rejects thus reducing generation of waste during rectification works.
- Donate re-usable items to non-profit community organization
- Reuse items before discarding them e.g. printed paper, used envelopes, glass jars etc.
- Replace disposables with re-usable water and food containers and cutlery
- Collect recyclables to enable transfer to recycling facility or treatment plant, diverting disposal to landfill.
- Collect E-Waste to enable transfer to material recovery facility or treatment plant
- Compost organic waste where possible.
The abovementioned principles are complemented by
- Waste Segregation at Source
Sort out non-recyclables and recyclables, dispose and store separately in the provided garbage bins each for paper, glass, plastic bottle and Aluminum tins.
- Waste Quantification
Measure volume of waste generated and monitor status of Source Reduction, Reuse and Recycling to track progress of waste minimization.
All staff is thus, obliged to manage the following list of non-exhaustive types of waste through optimum utilization:
- Paper Products e.g. printing papers, envelopes, old newspapers/magazines etc.
- Used printer cartridges
- Products Packaging e.g. plastic wrapping, storage boxes
- Food Waste e.g. raw kitchen waste, cooked putrescible
- Garden Waste e.g. lawn trimmings, dried leaves, tree twigs and branches
Electrical & Electronic Waste (E-Waste)
- Parts of computer e.g. Central Processing Units (CPU)
- Appliances e.g. Monitor, Keyboard, Printer
- Cable & Wire
This policy aims to encourage efficient use of office resources. Wastage of resources or unnecessary duplication should be avoided at all time. These environmental-friendly practices will contribute towards minimizing possible exploitation of natural resources as well as reducing generation of waste that may pollute the natural environment.
With the policy, all employees are to observe responsible handling and management as well as reasonable care in undertaking any activity that results in waste generation.